[CHiPPS] Questions on Blis

Alessandro Tiberi alessandro.tiberi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 07:26:20 EDT 2009

Dear All,

I have been playing a little with Blis and I have a bunch of questions:

1) I would expect the search to stop as soon as a 0% gap is reached.
However, both in serial and parallel mode, even with a 0% gap, nodes
continue to be queued
and the search process does not stop until the node queue is empty (for
instance this happens with cap6000 of miplib3). Am I missing something?

2) While when running in serial mode the best bound is updated during
the search, in parallel mode it appears to stay put.

3) Presolve. Blis presolve appears to be only partially implemented and
hardcoded to be off. Is there any reason for not using it? (I tried to
fully implement it and it seems to work fine)

4) Large instances. Has anyone tried Blis with large problems? I am
trying to solve instances with about 500K columns and I am running into
memory problems.
Concerning memory, I was wondering if subtrees are or can be compressed...

Many thanks!!

best,
Alessandro Tiberi