[Cbc] Huge constraint file

Andrew Wald andrewjohnwald at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 21:41:32 EST 2014

Hi Yves,

I don't claim to be an expert with Cbc, but I used a couple techniques that
were successful in my last project.

I had a pretty large workforce optimization problem that was wholly
intractable with Cbc; it took forever to reach even a 5% optimality gap
with CPLEX. Apart from throwing more computer at the problem, I found the
following to be helpful:

1) Try experimenting with different combinations of diving options. I ran a
bunch of tests and found that DivingVectorlength, by itself, was the most
effective for my formulation.
2) Try warm starts. I overly constrained my problem to something Cbc could
solve relatively quickly, which I then plugged back in as a feasible
integer starting point for the next run (where those constraints were
relaxed). This is what took me from intractability to something that Cbc
could churn through.

I hope this helps with your particular problem,
Andrew Wald