[Cbc] Osi Interface for Cbc (and deprecation thereof)?

Stefan Vigerske stefan at math.hu-berlin.de
Tue Feb 18 23:16:08 EST 2014

Hi,

On 02/18/2014 05:56 PM, Matthew Gidden wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was curious about the status of an OsiSolverInterface for Cbc models. I
> note that the current OsiCbcSolverInterface is deprecated, and it's
> suggested that I use the CbcSolver interface, hence my conundrum: I'd like
> to use the virtual Osi interface, but I'm wary of using something that's
> deprecated. I was hoping the list could help me understand:
> a) why the Osi Cbc interface was deprecated in the first place

Noone has been developing or updating it anymore. And the performance
you get with it is inferior to what you get with the usual CbcSolver
interface.
Also MIP support in Osi is very limited, so interest for reviving OsiCbc
by the Cbc developer has been very low, I believe.

> b) a suggested path forward (I assume writing my own custom interface for
> the CbcSolver)

driver3.cpp and driver4.cpp in Cbc/examples may be a starting point.

> If the answer is writing a new Osi-to-(new)CbcSolver interface, I'd be
> happy to contribute that back into coin.

I know some people who would like this to see.

Stefan