[Cbc] Porting JNI-based Cbc app to Windows

acw at ascent.com acw at ascent.com
Mon Jun 11 11:42:50 EDT 2012

I will roughly describe our application and then present our problem.

We have a working Cbc application running on Linux.  It is unusual in that
it is not standalone, but rather is a component of a server that accepts
requests containing MIP problems, and returns the solutions to the client.

The server layer is implemented in Java, and we used JNI to connect to the
solver layer, which is mostly Cbc with a few interface functions pasted on
the top.

We were able to adapt the example makefiles in Cbc/examples, to produce
shared libraries (.so files) instead of direct executables.  Shared
libraries are required to interface with Java code via JNI.

Now our problem:

We would like to port our MIP server to Windows.  On Windows, shared
libraries are .dll files.  Has anyone out there in Cbc-land successfully
compiled a Cbc application to produce a .dll?  We are especially
interested in talking to anyone with a JNI-based success story.  (We are
willing to use a Microsoft development environment, or Cygwin, or MinGW
... anything that works.  Extra points if we don't have to deliver a lot
of extra runtime support software when we install the server on a new
machine.)