[Cbc] Question about "**" prefix in CBC solution file lines

Watson, Jean-paul jwatson at sandia.gov
Mon Apr 2 23:40:04 EDT 2012

I just encountered our first Coopr user that has generated models such that the resulting CBC solution files contain rows for variable lines that are prefixed by "**".

When I look at the code (CBCGenSolution.cpp), it is obvious that the "**" indicate – in the case of variables – that the bounds have been violated for this particular variable.

This makes sense for a brief moment, until I realize that CBC is reporting the solution is optimal. Solutions can of course violate strict bounds when tolerances are considered, but I would assume I would see this behavior on any of the numerous other models we have solved with CBC.

Can anyone shed some light on this condition, and how the resulting solution should be interpreted?

Thanks,

Jean-Paul