[Cbc] [Clp] Integer Linear Programming

Stefan Vigerske stefan at math.hu-berlin.de
Mon Jan 24 06:21:51 EST 2011

Hi,

> Hello Sir,
>
> 	I need one more advise from you.

Please stick to the mailing list.

> In my problem I will have couple of
> objective functions

Usually you can use only one objective function at a time.

> with not more than 100 constraints. I wish to know which
> of the two CBC/lp_solver is appropriate for my case. My requirement is that
>
> 1. I need to have a light weight system.
> 2. Constraints not more than 100
> 3. Robust and a simple system.
> 4. Should not take too much of time.
>
> 	Please suggest a system for this requirement.

Easiest would be if you just try both :-).
Cbc may not be as "leight weight" as lp_solve, but usually gives better
performance on difficult instances.
For easy MIPs, lp_solve or glpk may be a good alternative.
Glpk has a modeling language already included, which may make it a bit
easier to use. However, cbc can also be compiled with support for the
same language.

If you don't want to install solvers, you can try the online solvers at
NEOS, http://neos.mcs.anl.gov/neos/solvers/index.html

Stefan

> Regards,
> Ranganath S

Stefan Vigerske
Humboldt University Berlin, Numerical Mathematics
http://www.math.hu-berlin.de/~stefan