[Cbc] Compiling CLP/CBC with UFL AMD support

Kish Shen kisshen at cisco.com
Mon Feb 14 11:55:27 EST 2011

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for your reply!

On 11/02/2011 18:43, Stefan Vigerske wrote:

> You could specify additional linker flags via the LDFLAGS variable at
> the configure call, e.g., ./configure LDFLAGS=-lamd

One reason I have not been using flags with configure is that I think
this adds the flag to all, and not just to Clp. In particular, as I am
building the static versions of the libraries (with --enable-static),
linking amd into the other libraries is probably not a good idea, I assume.

> But I don't see how this could be sufficient to let Clp know that it
> should use this library. Maybe you also need to set ADD_CXXFLAGS to do
> something -DCLP_USE_CHOLMOD or so.

I have to make other changes to Makefile.in:

1. add -DUFL_BARRIER to DEFS. Can I use -DCLP_USE_UFL_BARRIER at the
toplevel instead?

2. add ClpCholeskyUfl.hpp to includecoin_HEADERS.

Can this be done without modifying Makefile.in? That is, by specifying
something at configure?

> If you prefer changing Makefile.in, then modify the CLPLIB_LIBS variable.
>
>> It would be nice if linking of UFL AMD can be done without modifying the
>> source -- this used to be possible. Is there any plans to do this again?
>
> Best would be to have a configure option
> (--with-uflamd-{libs,incdir}...), you could create a Clp ticket for
> this, https://projects.coin-or.org/Clp/newticket

Thanks. I will do that.

> Things that have been added to Clp years ago should be in various
> stable's by now.
> E.g., try Clp 1.12, this one did not have the changes to the buildsystem
> in it yet, and was created from Clp trunk rev1555 9 months ago.

I decided to try the stable branch again -- I need to link in the
libraries with my own code to see if there are any problems, as I no
longer remember what exactly were the extra features I needed (I think
they were related to getting the status for the problem). This seem to
work with the a svn download of the stable branch from about a week ago,
so I guess the changes are in the stable branch now.

Is there anyway of obtaining the version number of CLP/CBC when using
the library in your own code? I can't see anything in the documentation,
but it might be I didn't know where to look.

Cheers,

Kish

Cardiff, South Glamorgan CF10 5BT.