[Cbc] Getting Started

Haroldo Santos haroldo.santos at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 20:01:53 EDT 2011

Hi Alex,

You can write your model using the

LP file format, for instance:

http://lpsolve.sourceforge.net/5.5/lp-format.htm

It is one of the CBC supported file formats.

Please keep in mind that CBC only solves integer linear programming models.

Cheers,

Haroldo

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 2:23 PM, Alex Escott <AE at malaspina-labs.com> wrote:

> Hi all, new to CBC and trying to get something simple (I think!) working. I
> have an objective function and set of parameters which is pretty small in
> comparison to the 1000s of params that I see people talking about.
>
> My params will be integer, floating point, or Boolean, and they don't have
> any constraints between them. I only have ranges for the values themselves.
> I have only 10-15 of these. They look something like:
>
> int     num1, where 0 <= num1 <= 20
> float num2, where -1.0 <= num2 <= 1.0
> bool num3, where num3 == 0 or 1 (true or false)
>
> I've spent the last day or two going through the code, docs and examples
> and am still wondering how to get started...
>
> 1. What class do I create for my solution? A CBCSolver?
> 2. How are these .mps files created... are they a serialized state of the
> solver, or do I create one from scratch to start?
> 3. How do I declare my params and their types/bounds and input them to the
> solver?
> 4. How do I hook up my objective function?
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks a lot!
>
> -ake

Haroldo Gambini Santos
Computing Department - Universidade Federal de Ouro Preto - UFOP
email: haroldo [at ] iceb.ufop.br
home/research page: www.decom.ufop.br/haroldo/

"Computer science is no more about computers than astronomy
is about telescopes." Edsger Dijkstra