[Cbc] Meaning of number of nodes (getNodeCount())

Kish Shen kisshen at cisco.com
Tue Apr 5 15:37:01 EDT 2011

Hi,

I have been looking at terminating the MIP search for Cbc with setting
of CbcMaxNumNode, and I am not sure I understand how the number of node
is calculated:

I tried setting CbcMaxNumNode on solving a version of the bell3a
problem, using CbcSolver. On a normal run of the solve, I used
getNodeCount() returned 15532, which I assumed is the number of nodes
(linear solves) performed for the complete MIP.

I then reran the problem, setting CbcMaxNumNode to 2500. However, this
did not terminate the MIP early, and the problem appears to be solved to
completion, again with 15532 nodes.

I then noticed that in the message printing, I only saw one status
message of the form:

"After 1000 nodes, ....."

so it seems that the search finished before 2000 nodes was reached
(because I didn't see a message "After 2000 nodes...."), and yet
getNodeCount() is substantially larger than 2000.

When I set CbcMaxNumNode to 200, the MIP search did terminate early at
200 nodes.

This seems to suggest that some extra number is added to the node count
when the MIP is finished -- does anyone know what the extra node count
is for?

Thanks in advance for any information/help!

Cheers,

Kish

Cardiff, South Glamorgan CF10 5BT.