[Cbc] Compiling on Windows

Ted Ralphs ted at lehigh.edu
Sun Nov 21 19:36:30 EST 2010

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 3:33 PM, Lou Hafer <lou at cs.sfu.ca> wrote:
>> CYGWIN
>> ./configure ends with the correct message as noted but make fails.  I've
>> only included the last portion of the output, but send the rest if needed.
>>
>> /cygdrive/c/Cbc/coin-Cbc/coin-Cbc/Clp/src/.libs/libClp.a(ClpFactorization.o)
>> :Clp
>> Factorization.cpp:(.text+0x5b6): undefined reference to
>> `CoinFactorization::upda
>> teColumn(CoinIndexedVector*, CoinIndexedVector*, bool) const'
>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>> make[3]: *** [cbc.exe] Error 1
>> make[3]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/Cbc/coin-Cbc/coin-Cbc/Cbc/src'
>> make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>> make[2]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/Cbc/coin-Cbc/coin-Cbc/Cbc/src'
>> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>> make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/Cbc/coin-Cbc/coin-Cbc/Cbc'
>> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>
>        Again, no good explanation, and it's been even longer since I tried a
> Cygwin build. I'm going to hope that someone else will field this one.

There have been a number of reports of undefined references in
building Cbc 2.6 and so far, they have all been due to old versions of
libraries being installed. Our new build system (which is used by Cbc
2.6) can link to installed libraries of some projects while building
other from source. The first release actually preferred installed
libraries to source-built libraries, so if you had an installed
version of some COIN library, it would try to link to it, even if it
was not the right version. We have now changed that, so building from
scratch should work, but I would still suggest uninstalling any
previously installed libraries. Another feature of the new system that
we are phasing in is the ability to detect whether installed libraries
are indeed the right version in order to avoid these type of linking
issues. There will be more on that over time. I would try again now
and it should work.

Cheers,

Ted
--