[BuildTools] afterthougts re. libtool & cl support

Kipp Martin kipp.martin at chicagogsb.edu
Tue Nov 28 19:41:09 EST 2006

Hi Lou:

> might save us work.  Question is, how many among us have good cl
> expertise?  Philip (Walton), are you reading this?  Kip? Jun?

I use cl, BuildTools, and MSYS for my Windows builds and have had pretty
  good luck building my project, and other COIN projects. However, I AM
NOT an expert, or even mediocre for that matter, maybe a D- student.  I
think Philip and JP are among the most knowledgeable MS people, although
I also think they tend to use the MS IDE Visual Studio.

I think I mentioned to you Lou, in an earlier email, that I have not had
too much difficulty with the configure script recognizing and using the
correct MS compiler and linker.

Now, I do have problems with the lib tool and static libs with the
ADDLIBS variable, especially third party libs. For example,

when executing ./configure I use

./configure  CPPFLAGS=-D_LINDO_DLL_
--with-lindo-lib="/home/kmartin/COIN-OS/ThirdParty/lindo/lib/lindo4_1.lib"
--with-lindo-incdir=/home/kmartin/COIN-OS/ThirdParty/lindo/include

This causes a problem with libtool in that doing the above
evidently adds the lindo4_1.lib to ADDLIBS. Then libtool thinks that
this is a dynamic library and complains about it. Things still seem to
work, but is there a way to keep libtools from thinking that this is a
dynamic library?

Anyway, I am willing to help if I can, I think it is important,
especially for the binary project to use BuildTools with cl.

Cheers,
--
Kipp Martin
Professor of Operations Research