[BuildTools] --enable-doscompile, msvc, mingw

Kipp Martin kipp.martin at chicagogsb.edu
Tue Nov 21 17:28:35 EST 2006

Hi Lou:

> 	Does MSYS provide GCC?  I'm thinking the answer must be no. Otherwise I
> can't see how configure finds cl without prompting.

No, MSYS does not provide GCC, which from viewpoint is a good thing when
working with the MS compilers.  I have an older Windows machine I use
for building COIN projects with just MSYS and the MS compilers. The nice
thing about MSYS is that it gives you a true GNU make (as opposed to
nmake) and you can then run the  configure scripts. I use a command line
svn along with configure and I have had amazingly few problems building
the projects due to configure problems.  Of course I have had problems
with some of the COIN software not compatible with the MS compilers.

Cheers,