[BuildTools] Problems building with trunk and the MSVC++ compiler

Ted Ralphs tkralphs at lehigh.edu
Wed Dec 20 11:05:55 EST 2006

Building with the trunk version of build tools and the MSVC++ version 8
compiler under CYGWIN didn't go through. The first strange thing was
that I got a bunch of warnings like this:

cygpath: can't convert empty path

the didn't appear when I used the stable version with cl. However, the
fatal error was in the link stage:

cl -O2 -nologo -EHsc -GR -MT -DNDEBUG -o clp.exe ClpMain.obj
CbcOrClpParam.obj MyEventHandler.obj MyMessageHandler.obj unitTest.obj
./.libs/libClp.lib
/home/ted/SYMPHONY/build-libtool-cl/Clp/../CoinUtils/src/.libs/libCoinUtils.lib
-L/home/ted/SYMPHONY/build-libtool-cl/lib
cl : Command line warning D9035 : option 'o' has been deprecated and
will be removed in a future release
cl : Command line warning D9002 : ignoring unknown option
'/home/ted/SYMPHONY/build-libtool-cl/Clp/../CoinUtils/src/.libs/libCoinUtils.lib'
cl : Command line warning D9002 : ignoring unknown option
'-L/home/ted/SYMPHONY/build-libtool-cl/lib'
libClp.lib(ClpPresolve.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
"public: virtual __thiscall CoinPackedMatrix::~CoinPackedMatrix(void)"
(??1CoinPackedMatrix@@UAE at XZ)

This was followed by a whole lot more unresolved symbol errors. I don't
really have much time to look into it right now, but it seems funny that
it is trying to use cl to do the linking, wen it should really be using
link.exe (I specified LD=link when I configured). It was working with
the stable version, but something seems to be different now.

Cheers,

Ted
--
Dr. Ted Ralphs