[BuildTools] avoiding multiple generation of libtool scripts

Andreas Waechter andreasw at watson.ibm.com
Mon Dec 11 18:46:27 EST 2006

Hi

I have done a few changes in coin.m4 that (hopefully) will allow us to
avoid the multiple generation of the libtool scripts (and the re-doing of
all the tests) in the project subdirectories.

What happens now is that one can include the macro AC_COIN_CREATE_LIBTOOL
in a packages base directories configure.ac file (instead of the
AC_COIN_INIT_AUTOMAKE macro).  This will then run all compiler tests in
the packages base directory and create the libtool script.

Now, if configure runs in a project subdirectory, it checks if it can find
the libtool script in .., ../.., or ../../.. .  If it is found, all the
libtool related checks are skipped, and the script is no longer created
here.  If the libtool script is not detect in those directories, the tests
are run and the script is created locally.

The nice thing is that we could add this into the stable/0.5 version
without having everybody switching to the new version necessarily at the
same time.  However, I would prefer some more testing on other platforms
before putting it into stable.  One issue is that currently a Fortran
compiler is required, but I will make that optional soon.

It would be great if you could try that at some point.  I have tested it
with Bonmin on Linux and Cygwin.

Please let me know what you think.

Cheers

Andreas