[Bonmin] Issues when dealing with linear constraints involving integer variables

Filippo Pecci f.pecci14 at imperial.ac.uk
Thu May 14 09:06:38 EDT 2015

Dear all,

We have been using BONMIN to solve some MINLP problems with binary
integers that represent  ON/OFF type elements in our optimization. One
of the linear constraints we have is a that the sum of integer variables
is a fixed positive integer N (i.e. \sum{i\in I}v_i=N)

  * We use bonmin through OPTI's mex interface. As a result, we
    implement this linear constraint on the integer variable as N \leq
    \sum{i\in I}v_i \leq N. This has some convergence issues, often
    failing to find a feasible solution.

  * We  relaxed the above constraints using small delta to N-\delta \leq
    \sum{i\in I}v_i \leq N+\delta. Although this solved the issue for
    some small N, the same problem was faced for larger N values.

  * We also replaced this constraint with \sum{i\in I}v_i \leq N, which
    is equivalent to the original constraint in our problem since the
    objective function cannot be improved with less ON elements (i.e.
    with less v_i that are equal to 1). This formulation always works
    with good convergence properties.

What is it about bonmin that causes this behaviour? Pseudocosts? How
bonmin passes equality constraints in integer variables to ipopt? Can it
be related to the branching rules?

Best regards,

Filippo Pecci