[Bonmin] Bonmin Matlab interface

Stefan Vigerske stefan at math.hu-berlin.de
Mon Jul 22 10:32:33 EDT 2013

Hi,

On 07/22/2013 04:02 PM, Alex Ferrer wrote:
> Hello all,
> My name is Alex and I am a Phd student in Barcelona. My research is
> about design material through optimization.
> I coursed some courses in Optimization and I learnt how to use Ipopt and
> Bonmin but with AMPL language.
> However in my research, I am using Matlab, so I installed theMatlab
> interface  <https://projects.coin-or.org/Ipopt/wiki/MatlabInterface>
> for Ipopt and everything is okey.
> Because I am using binary variables I want to also use Bonmin through
> Matlab as I do it with Ipopt.
> Is it possible? Does anyone know how to do it? Could I use it through
> Ipopt interface?

No, the Ipopt/Matlab interface is not setup for use in Bonmin so far.

You could have a look at http://www.i2c2.aut.ac.nz/Wiki/OPTI
This brings an Bonmin/Matlab interface, but it is only for windows, I think.

> Another question, I see that Bonmin use Ipopt for solving the relaxed
> problem. If I have already installed Ipopt could I use it in the
> configure step, something like -with-ipopt= ...
> I am starting with Linux so I am a little lost.

The easiest is to build Bonmin with all dependencies in one round.
However, if you have an Ipopt installation in <IPOPTDIR>, you could try
configure with  --with-coin-instdir=<IPOPTDIR> to let it pick Ipopt from
there. Also setting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable so it
includes IPOPTDIR/lib/pkgconfig (the directory with the ipopt.pc file)
could work.

Stefan