[Bonmin] Bonmin failing to deliver solution to GAMS (or failing to calculate solution?) in convex MINLP

Juan Jose Galvez jjgalvez at um.es
Fri Feb 3 05:05:53 EST 2012

Hi,

>> This is an example output I'm getting from a model solved by bonmin:
>>
>> Bonmin finished. Found feasible point. Objective function value = -8.477.
>> Resolve with fixed discrete variables to get dual values.
>> NLP0014I 4 OPT -8.477 18 1.887
>> Warning: Optimal value of NLP subproblem differ from best MINLP value
>> reported by Bonmin.
>> Will not replace solution, dual values will not be available.
>>

>> Best solution: -9.701475e+000 (36 nodes, 12.637 seconds)
>> Best possible: 8.477002e+000 (only reliable for convex models)
>>
>> Absolute gap: 1.817848e+001 (absolute tolerance optca: 0)
>> Relative gap: 214.444651% (relative tolerance optcr: 0.05%)
>>
>> However, the primal solution given to GAMS corresponds to objective
>> value -9.701475, and not 8.477002.
>
> The best feasible solution that Bonmin found has value -9.701475.
> The 8.477002 is only an upper bound that tells you that there exists
> no solution with a value above 8.477002.

I thought the output line:
"Bonmin finished. Found feasible point. Objective function value = -8.477."

meant that bonmin has found a feasible point with objective value
8.477. I don't understand why it subsequently says that the best
solution is -9.701475, which is much worse. In fact, I thought bonmin
is exact for convex models. The solution reported, however, is way
outside the required tolerance levels, as you can see in the output.
On the other hand, if I try with a different algorithm (OA), the best
solution found *is* 8.477.

I'll send you a model later to see if you can reproduce the problem.

Juan