[ADOL-C] tape as binary string to use at compile time

hg hgbk2008 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 14:00:31 EST 2018

Dear Adol-C developer

I wonder if we can extract the tape as an ascii string representing a
binary (e.g. encoded by libz). Then one can use that string to bind to a
specific function/derivative evaluation. The tape information will then be
included during compilation. Although one has to generate the tape offline
but I think it can help to avoid the use of ADOLC_OPENMP for multithreaded
application. In my case, although I worked locally at the material level
but I have to modify the code upstream to assert the ADOLC_OPENMP for
multithreading. That is somewhat manageable, but I assume that when we have
a correct and stable version of the code, it makes sense to introduce to
binary at compile time to improve performance, additionally reduce
maintenance overhead. Please let me know if my idea making any sense.

Best regards
Giang Bui