[ADOL-C] Bug in extreme cases of pow()

Kshitij Kulshreshtha kshitij at math.upb.de
Thu Jul 31 05:15:28 EDT 2014

Hello,

for y = pow(x,e) we apply the rule for forward differentiation in your
given direction (\dot{x},\dot{e}). You get:

\dot{y} = e*pow(x,e-1)*\dot{x} + log(x)*pow(x,e)*\dot{e}

Now if you put x = 0, e = 0, you get a NaN from the first, and a -Inf
from the second term. Result is NaN.

If you put x = 0, e = 1, you get NaN from the second term. Total result
is NaN.

Cheers.
Kshitij

As on 2014-07-31 10:43h, Samuel Leweke did write:

Dr. Kshitij Kulshreshtha

Institut für Mathematik,
Universität Paderborn,
Warburger Straße 100,