[ADOL-C] Evaluating Hessian of Lagrangian

Ingrid Hallen ingridhallen at hotmail.com
Thu May 2 09:28:52 EDT 2013

Hi,

I finally got time to start implementing the alternative method for computing the Hessian of
the Lagrangian to do some benchmarking. However, I have come across the following difficulty:

Using also the Lagrange multipliers as variables yields an Hessian of the Lagrangian in the
form of a block matrix:

H = / H_{xx}         H_{xl} \
       \ H_{xl}                0    /

Here H_{xx} is the Hessian wrt to the original variables x\inR^n that we are interested in. After calling
sparse_hess(tag,n,repeat,x,&nnz,&rind,&cind,&values,&options) I thought that it should be
straightforward to identify the parts of rind, cind and values pertaining to H_{xx}. For instance,
say we want to count the non-zeros in the first row of H_{xx}, nnz_xx, using the following code:

int k = 0
int nnz_xx = 0
while rind[k]==0
    if cind[k]<n
          nnz_xx++;
    end
    k++;
end

This of course only works provided the non-zeros of H_{xl} are found in the columns>n, but that
appears not to be the case.

Am I missing something really simple here, or how can I extract H_{xx}?.

Kind regards
Ingrid