[ADOL-C] Using Adol-c within OpenCl framework

RICARDO PUENTE RICO ricardo.puente at upm.es
Wed Feb 6 04:53:45 EST 2013

Hello,

I am trying to use Adol-c to generate the adjoint code of a OpenCL
kernel. I have seen the thread regarding GPU computing from November
2011, and I was wondering if there were any updates on the issue.

Just to narrow down the problem, my objective would be the
differentiate code from within a openCL kernel, confining all Adol-c
functions and variables to such kernel. Thus I would not have to deal
with interfacing issues between the main code and the kernels, and
neither would I be worrying in principle about sparsity, checkpointing
or any advanced stuff.

The problems I have right now are that I need to work with single
precision float variables, which Adol-c apparently does not support, and
with telling the OpenCL compiler to use Adol-c's functions.

A workaround I can think of is copying locally to my code all the
Adol-c functions I need, adapting them to work with floats. If you
believe this is feasible, I would be thankful for any pointers to do
this as painlessly as possible.

Regards,

--
RICARDO PUENTE RICO