[ADOL-C] Reusing tapes in Ipopt interface

Kshitij Kulshreshtha kshitij at math.upb.de
Thu Sep 27 02:55:07 EDT 2012

Axel Lachmeyer <lachmeyer at isys.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>I am using ADOL-C together with the Ipopt interface. Everything works
>fine, many thanks for this great tool.
>Now I would like to reuse the tapes for subsequent runs of my
>optimization hoping to increase speed. I managed to save the tapes to
>disk (trace_off(1)). Now: Do I need to replace the calls to gradient(),
>
>sparse_jac(), sparse_hess() by calls to function()? Or could I modify
>generate_tapes() such that it loads the tapes from disk?
>Thanks very much for your help,
>
>Axel

Hello,

all you need to do is to skip the tracing i.e. the region between trace_on and trace_off (including those two) and nothing else. Any of the subsequent calls (forward/reverse/gradient/sparse_jac) using the right tag will automatically load the correct tape from the disk. You don't need any other code changes.

Regards
Kshitij

--
Dr. Kshitij Kulshreshtha