[Ipopt] Help with IPOPT linking problems on Windows MSVC/Intel C++

Jesse Perla jesseperla at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 11:39:53 EDT 2008

I have everything compiling and running now with a release build!

In case anyone wants to replicate my steps in the future, :
* I changed the target to "Release".  Still doing with the Intel C++
compiler.
* In the project properties, set project C/C++/Code Generation/Runtime
Library to Multi-threaded (/MT)  where the default was Multi-threaded DLL
(/MD) for a release build.
* I just needed to link in libipopt.lib
* The cpp_example worked.

As for binaries:
* I look forward to the formal distribution of binaries in the future.  When
they are ready, I can help out with testing.  Is this test version
significantly out of date?
* Sounds like I need to build my own debug libraries for now.  Guess I will
have to walk through the build process.
* I am not sure how /MT vs. /MD makes a difference and can mix libraries
with them.
* I don't know much about this stuff, but there may be a way to get a binary
that can link to debug as well as release builds.  When I link to the intel
MKL and intel MPI I am pretty sure I am linking to the same libs for debug
as well as release builds.  I haven't run into the this problem patching
together any other libraries.  Mabe this has something to do with /MT vs.
/MD.  I don't need debugging info about the ipopt library.
* Yeah, distribution of the Intel Fortran libs may not be possible, but I
think it is reasonable to ask people to have a license for this installed
separately.  Especially since it is free for non-commercial on linux.

Thanks for everyone's help on what I now realize is a 101 problem.  (And
don't worry, the irony of whining about cygwin/linux dev environments and
then running into these problems is not lost on me).