[Ipopt] Help with IPOPT linking problems on Windows MSVC/Intel C++

Stefan Vigerske stefan at math.hu-berlin.de
Fri Aug 22 14:30:57 EDT 2008

Hi,

> As for binaries:
> * I look forward to the formal distribution of binaries in the future.  When
> they are ready, I can help out with testing.  Is this test version significantly
> out of date?

No, the VisualStudio-OS.zip is dated on 9.8., thats pretty update.
I think I already automatically create the Bonmin binaries at
http://www.coin-or.org/download/binary/Bonmin
Bonmin is a kind of mini-CoinAll which also includes Ipopt.
So there you can also find updated Ipopt binaries everytime there is a
new Bonmin release.

> * Sounds like I need to build my own debug libraries for now.  Guess I will have
> to walk through the build process.

Yes. There is no binary distribution of debug libraries (yet).

> * I am not sure how /MT vs. /MD makes a difference and can mix libraries with them.
> * I don't know much about this stuff, but there may be a way to get a binary
> that can link to debug as well as release builds.  When I link to the intel MKL
> and intel MPI I am pretty sure I am linking to the same libs for debug as well
> as release builds.  I haven't run into the this problem patching together any
> other libraries.  Mabe this has something to do with /MT vs. /MD.  I don't need
> debugging info about the ipopt library.

It might be possible, but you will need to tell VisualStudio to skip the
right libc libraries. This is what Damien was proposing in his posting.

> * Yeah, distribution of the Intel Fortran libs may not be possible, but I think
> it is reasonable to ask people to have a license for this installed separately.
> Especially since it is free for non-commercial on linux.

Redistributing the Fortran libraries is ok, I believe. Or that is how I
understood their readme's. They have a list there which libs can be
redistributed, and these files are on the web.

Stefan Vigerske
Humboldt University Berlin, Numerical Mathematics
http://www.math.hu-berlin.de/~stefan