[Couenne] Assessing performance on different systems

Pete Janes ppjanes at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 00:15:11 EDT 2010

Dear all,

I have been running the latest version of Couenne (using couenne, not
couenne2) on different
systems. The results are the same for all systems, as expected. But the
number of nodes, the
number of cuts, and the number of iterations required were different between
each system. These
differences make quite a big difference for larger problems.

The systems used are as follows
1) Linux 2.6.13, gcc version 4.0.2, AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 240
2) Linux 2.6.28, gcc version 4.3.3, Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6400
3) Linux 2.6.18, gcc version 4.1.2, Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X3220

Does any one know an obvious reason for these variations?

I have attached a small test program, configuration file, and a printout of
the results from system 2)

Regards,

Pete

P.S I assume I didn't ask this question before in the past. It sounds
familiar.