[BuildTools] Problem with ASL and AC_CHECK_SIZEOF(long long)

Kipp Martin kipp.martin at chicagogsb.edu
Mon Feb 11 16:13:50 EST 2008

Hi Lou:

> 	As is often the case, I'm confused.

I have that effect on people including myself.

> 	All of the various type checks in Coin configure scripts are performed
> using C in order to avoid issues with Microsoft C++.  I'm extremely surprised
> that the size of long long would differ between C and C++.  I thought this was
> illegal.  Add to that, I always build with configure -C, and I've never run into
> this issue.

My understanding from a number of Google sources is that indeed long
long is 8 bytes in C and not defined in C++.  See for example,

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2003-08/msg00847.html

If you do an AC_CHECK_SIZEOF(long long) in the ASL configure.ac you will
have an 8 returned. However, if you do AC_CHECK_SIZEOF(long long) in the
OS configure.ac (without -C when you configure) you will have 0 returned.

> 	Building on SPARC / Solaris 10 / Studio, configure, make, make test is
> successful.
>
> 	I notice you've added a check for long long in the top-level

If you look at OS release 1617 the check for long long should not be in
the top level config.ac file.

> configure.ac.  Should I remove this to try and replicate the problem? By chance,
> is this a Mac thing? Some issue with the Mac C++ compiler?

It is not just a Mac thing. I got emails from JP today and it broke two
of his platforms,  both Intel Linux and Power PC Linux.  I had the same
problem on mingw/gcc so there are at least three platforms other than
the Mac where this happens.

Duplicating resutls -- if you want to try to duplicate this, could you
get the current OS release of 1617 and go into configure.ac in OS and in
line 83 remove the comment.  If you configure with -C (no other options)
you should get the error below.

Thanks

  -lgfortranbegin -lgfortran -lSystem
checking for dummy main to link with Fortran libraries... (cached) none
checking for Fortran name-mangling scheme... (cached) lower case,
underscore, no extra underscore
checking for egrep... (cached) grep -E
checking for a BSD-compatible install... (cached) /usr/bin/install -c
checking for gawk... (cached) awk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... (cached) yes
checking dependency style of cc... (cached) gcc3
checking dependency style of g++... (cached) gcc3
configure: Using libtool script in directory ..
checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... (cached) no
checking for long long... (cached) yes
checking size of long long... configure: error: cannot compute sizeof
(long long), 77
See `config.log' for more details.

> 							Lou

Kipp Martin