[BuildTools] More tales of GCC 64-bit and Solaris

Lou Hafer lou at cs.sfu.ca
Fri Nov 16 19:13:56 EST 2007

Andreas,

> Maybe some of those issues have been fixed in the newer versions of
> autoconf, automake, and particularly libtool...

> I will be short of time for a while, but do you think we should pursue the
> switch?

	NO WAY!  I just now put the last hack in place in coin.m4 and not five
minutes ago finished building the Osi unitTest on Solaris x86, GCC, 64-bit.  I
want to get some mileage out of this.  Savour the moment, so to speak :-)

	More seriously:  We really should move up to the current versions of the
autotools.  But we should pick a time when both of us can afford to devote a bit
of time to it, and when we can enlist the aid of other TLC members and/or
project managers to do testing.  To do it right, we should go back over coin.m4
(and individual project configuration files), back out all our hacks that
compensate for the current generation of autotools, and then repair as needed.
That's non-trivial work.

	I know I'll regret putting this in writing, but I think that I've pretty
well got it nailed for Solaris.  To the best of my knowledge, we're in decent
shape for other platforms.  Might be better to let the nightly build & test
initiative get up and running, then we'll have a better testbed for BuildTools
upgrades.

							Lou