[BCP] semi-continuous, sos1, ... variables

David Catteeuw david.catteeuw at yazzoom.com
Sun Mar 20 04:44:58 EDT 2016

Hi Ted,

Thanks for offering your help!

DIP seems promising indeed.

I have a cutting-stock problem where the demands that must be satisfied have a predefined width and a _total_ length. In other words, you may/must cut several elements to satisfy a demand but you can freely choose the length of each element (within some reasonable range).

The cutting patterns are 2D guillotine cuts whose order is fixed: first cut to fix the elements' length, then cut to determine the elements' width.
You can cut in 2 stages: the elements just obtained can be cut into elements of smaller width but equal length.

I decided to tackle the problem as follows:
- a pattern is a tree of widths (a tree to represent 2 stage cutting).
- the master problem decides over which length to apply each pattern. These decision variables are semi-continuous.
- the subproblem finds the best pattern (or several good ones)

I wonder whether DIP would be a better option for my problem.

Thanks,
david.

PS: It seems that the documents that projects.coin-or.org/Dip <http://projects.coin-or.org/Dip> refers to are currently not accessible. I'll have a closer look at DIP as soon as possible.