[BCP] Bounding in BCP

alikoc at mail.utexas.edu alikoc at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Feb 15 13:12:25 EST 2008

Hi,

Thanks much. But some parts still remain unclear for me.

I can use BCP_Granularity only in 'LP_user' classes. But when TM sends next
candidate node to one of available 'LP_user' class, it also checks whether the
lower bound of the node is worse than the incumbent. There, it does not use
BCP_Granularity. There, I need to be able to prevent the node from being sent,
if it is within \epsilon.

On updating the upper bound for relative termination:
There are two 'upper_bound' variables; one in LP_prob class, which we have
access when we are solving the LP relaxation of the current node through
LP_user class. This upper bound is local. Updating this upper bound has effect
to current node being processed. The next nodes we are processing will not be
aware of whether we updated this or not.

If we want to update the global upper bound; there is one in TM_prob class. But
we cannot directly set its value to something else, as the user interface by
the TM_user class is very limited. What we can do is, whenever we find a
feasible solution, we set its objective value to 0.95xz* instead of z*. Then TM
class, when processing the 'feasible solution' message, will take care of
updating the global upper bound accordingly.

But in this last case, there will be inconsistency in our feasible solution.

I put what I was able to dig out in two days. I think it is confusing enough. It
would be better if there was two global parameters for both absolute and
relative terminations that also works in both LP and TM classes, without making
us do some trickier stuff.

Thanks,

Ali

Quoting fmargot at andrew.cmu.edu: