[Coin-bcpdiscuss] Recursivly use of BCP and branching

Simon Spoorendonk spooren at diku.dk
Wed Dec 21 12:58:52 EST 2005

We have a few questions about BCP? It is implemented and working, however not without several workarounds. We hope that answers to the following questions could "clean"/speed the code up.

1. We have several applications using the BCP framework and would like to call one within the other, i.e. during column generation we wish to solve another problem solved with branch-and-cut (both are implemented with BCP). Is this possible in an easy way (not calling an external program, but doing it in memory)?
2. Is it possible to do variable generation and cut generation doing strong branching without hacking the strong branch loop of BCP?
3. When branching on cuts while column generating, is it possible to do this better than adding a cut for each branch child and fixing the bounds (in select_branching_candidates)? And how are we guaranteed that the cut (algo) is never removed without setting BCP_IneffectiveConstraints = 0? Should the cuts be added as core cuts?

Simon Spoorendonk,
DIKU, University of Copenhagen, Denmark