[Symphony] Building Symphony DLL

Ted Ralphs tkr2 at lehigh.edu
Fri Jun 12 11:50:44 EDT 2015

Hi Vlad,

Sorry for the delay in responding. I have looked into this a number of
times and have failed each time to find an easy solution. It is possible to
build working DLLs with the MinGW compiler, but these would not be
compatible in general with binaries built with Visual Studio. If you wanted
to switch your entire tool chain to MinGW, this would probably work. In
previous searches on this topic, I've gotten the idea that there is some
incantation that will modify the MinGW DLLs to work with Visual Studio
binaries, but that is another path I've never followed to the end.

Is there are a reason that statically linked binaries will not work for
you? I guess that DLLs would mainly be desirable for libraries that are
accessed by many different binaries or when you want to be able to upgrade
the library without upgrading the binary. On Windows, static linking seems
much less problematic.

As an aside, I am curious what unique functionality of SYMPHONY you are
using. If you're able to say, I've be interested in hearing more. You can
reply to me off-line if you want.

Cheers,

Ted

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 3:20 AM, Vlad Kim <vladhkim at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have found some similar topics about Symphony DLL build process in list
> archives, but still didn't come across the optimal solution.
> I would like to build a Symphony DLL from the provided MS Visual Studio
> solution file, but as this link suggests
>
> https://projects.coin-or.org/MSVisualStudio
>
> this might be tricky. (scroll down to "Building DLLs and Assemblies").
>
> However, this page has been edited last time 3 years ago. So I  was
> wondering, if anyone managed to develop an efficient way of building
> Windows DLLs since then.  We need full functionality of "symphony", so
> using CoinMP.dll is not in the range of possible solutions.
>

> ​Best regards,
> Vlad

Dr. Ted Ralphs
Professor, Lehigh University