[Symphony] SYMPHONY Installation with PVM

Ted Ralphs ted at lehigh.edu
Wed Oct 22 01:20:31 EDT 2014

Hi David,

Goodness, sorry for dropping this---things got very busy.

On Thu, Oct 9, 2014 at 7:05 PM, Alfred Pennyworth <batcavecluster at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dr. Ralphs,
>
> Thank you for your timely and helpful reply!
>
> I misspoke, I am trying to install CoinAll, but the ./configure --with-pvm
> step indicates the error is with Symphony.  I used svn to checkout release
> 1.7.4 of CoinAll.

So, just to check, are you really wanting to use SYMPHONY in a distributed
parallel mode? What is your reason for trying to configure with --with-pvm?
The CoinAll release 1.7.4 include a version of SYMPHONY for which I think
PVM support is a bit broken. To use SYMPHONY with PVM, you should switch to
the most recent release (5.6.1). You can do this easily with svn by going
into the SYMPHONY subdirectory and doing

svn switch https://projects.coin-or.org/svn/SYMPHONY/releases/5.6.1/SYMPHONY

If you just want to solve in parallel on a multi-core machine, this will
happen by default with 5.6.1 using OpenMP. You do not need any configure
options. OpenMP support is automatically enabled.

> Previously, I had trouble installing PVM from source, but a helpful
> gentleman, Dr. Kohl, straightened me out.  I have now gotten the source for
> PVM 3.4.6 and built it.  I believe it to be working correctly.  I have
> checked, and pvm3.h is in $PVM_ROOT/include.  In my specific case, PVM_ROOT
> is /usr/share/pvm3/ and the CoinAll directory is /usr/share/CoinAll-1.7.4/.
>
> Though, I am still having difficulty with CoinAll.  After the checkout
> step, ./configure --with-pvm --enable-openmp (not sure if I need both, but
> the result is the same with or without the openmp flag) the error message
> is:
> Cannot find PVM library in system paths or in PVM_ROOT path.

This is a different problem. It is trying to find the PVM library, which
should be in PVM_ROOT/lib/$PVM_ARCH, where PVM_ARCH is the architecture of
the machine you are on. For me, it is LINUX64. Check to make sure there is
such a directory and a library there. If not, perhaps you forgot to
install? I can't remember, but it is possible, you also have to set the
PVM_ARCH environment variable appropriately as well.

Cheers,

Ted

--
Dr. Ted Ralphs