[Symphony] SYMPHONY Installation with PVM

Ted Ralphs ted at lehigh.edu
Tue Oct 7 19:29:59 EDT 2014

Hi David,

First, what version of SYMPHONY are you using? Make sure you get 5.6.1.

The cause of the error you are seeing is simply that the file
$PVM_ROOT/include/pvm3.h is not found. Can you check to make sure that
specific file is there?

I have found that the files associated with pvm3 on some flavors of Linux
are not in the proper locations. Overall, it seems easier to just get the
source and build it myself. That was the only way I could get it to work on
Debian. Everything works fine for me with PVM 3.4.6.

Although the unit tests work with PVM now and everything seems to be fine,
I have not tested it extensively and have not tried to build any of the
applications. Feel free to keep sending questions if you have problems, as
I would like to make sure everything is running smoothly.

Cheers,

Ted

On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 6:08 PM, Alfred Pennyworth <batcavecluster at gmail.com>
wrote:

> All,
>
> I am requesting some help with the configure step of Symphony's install
> when using the --with-pvm option.  I am running Fedora 20.  I installed PVM
> through Apper.  Typing pvm at the terminal prompt starts the PVM console.
>
> According to the INSTALL guide (portion copied below), my system path
> needs to point to PVM.  To this end, I added export
> PVM_ROOT=/usr/share/pvm3 to my environment variables.  Also, I believe the
> header files are located in $PVM_ROOT/include, and so I added that
> directory to my PATH variable.  However, trying ./configure --with-pvm, I
> am given the following error "Cannot find the pvm header files either in
> system path or in PVM_ROOT path".  The process ends with the message that
> './configure' failed for SYMPHONY.
>
> I am at a loss as to what to do next.  Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Respectfully,
>
> David
>

> P.S.: Referenced section from INSTALL:
>
> To configure for a parallel build, invoke the configuration script as
> follows:
>
>   ./configure --with-pvm
>
> Be sure that PVM is installed either in system path or that you have the
> environment variable PVM_ROOT set properly.

Dr. Ted Ralphs
Associate Professor, Lehigh University
(610) 628-1280
ted 'at' lehigh 'dot' edu