[Symphony] PVM, issues with both Ubuntu version (runtime) and official source (compile time)

Ted Ralphs tkr2 at lehigh.edu
Fri Nov 21 09:28:07 EST 2014

Hi Tim,

The changes in trunk that I made should be in 5.6.2 so you are good with
that version. I also could not get SYMPHONY to work with the Debian package
of PVM. I didn't really investigate what was wrong there, since building
PVM from source seemed to work in the end.

It's hard to tell exactly what's going on from the output, but I guess that
the first thing is to make sure you have the variable PVM_ARCH set
correctly. SYMPHONY looks for the library in $PVM_ROOT/lib/$PVM_ARCH, which
is the standard location. If you have set PVM_ROOT and PVM_ARCH correctly,
you shouldn't actually need to set --with-pvm-incdir and --with-pvm-lib.

If that doesn't work for some reason, you can also try using
--with-pvm-lib, but the correct incantation should be:

--with-pvm-lib='-L/home/timg/Downloads/pvm3/lib/LINUX64/ -lgpvm3 -lpvm3'

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers,

Ted

Dr. Ted Ralphs