[Symphony] Column generation with SYMPHONY

Ted Ralphs ted at lehigh.edu
Thu Sep 29 21:43:36 EDT 2011

Hi Haroldo,

Because there are better options for doing column generation, we stopped
supporting it in SYMPHONY. It's possible it will still work, but it hasn't
been tested in quite some time. I suggest you take a look at either Bcp or
DIP, depending on what kind of column generation you're doing. I can help
you decide which one to use if you tell me a little more about what you're
doing off-line.

Cheers,

Ted

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 2:40 PM, Haroldo Santos <haroldo.santos at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm searching for an example of using SYMPHONY for column generation - a
> small one would be nice.
>
> Looking at
>
> SYMPHONY/Examples
>
> I did not find any.
> Looking in the documentation I found the callback
>
> user_generate_column
>
> which appears to be the way of doing this in SYMPHONY. Is it that simple as
> fill the columns from this call back ?
>
> Anybody in this list has an small  example code ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Haroldo
>
> --
> Haroldo Gambini Santos
> Computing Department - Universidade Federal de Ouro Preto - UFOP
> email: haroldo [at ] iceb.ufop.br
> home/research page: www.decom.ufop.br/haroldo/
>
> "Computer science is no more about computers than astronomy
> is about telescopes." Edsger Dijkstra

Dr. Ted Ralphs
Associate Professor, Lehigh University
(610) 628-1280