[Symphony] Same version of symphony built with different -O options produces different solutions

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Thu Sep 15 18:47:49 EDT 2011

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011, Peter Moceyunas wrote:

> On 9/15/2011 8:58 AM, Ted Ralphs wrote:
>> Hi Pete,
>>
>> Do the differences you are observing have to do with changes in the optimal
>> solution value or just what (alternative) optimal solution is actually
>> produced and/or how long it takes to produce it (what the search tree looks
>> like)?
> The objective function values are identical, so I am seeing alternate optimal
> solutions. The alternate solutions are correct.

It seems that for some reason you want to get the same
solution regardless of platform and build parameters.

As others have noted, it can be done, but it can be expensive.

Assumed goal:
Low cost when there is only one optimal solution.
Solve more or less as usual.
Note the bound on any pruned branches.
If the best pruned branch is worse than the optimal solution found,
said optimal solution is unique.
If not, you have a new equality.
add a new objective and resolve.

"Pessimist: The glass is half empty.