[Symphony] bicriteria example?

Ted Ralphs ted at lehigh.edu
Fri May 7 17:19:32 EDT 2010

Well, it was a combination of four different things that caused the problem.

1. The new pre-processor was messing with the reformulation required
for the use of the Chebyshev norm in order to find non-supported
solutions. For now, I have disabled the pre-processor when the
multicriteria solve capability is invoked.

2. The new procedure for automatically setting the problem granularity
was also conflicting with the setting of granularity for the
multi-criteria case, which has to be done a little differently.

3. The objective coefficient on x_2 in your MPS file should be "0" to
reproduce the example precisely (see attached file).

4. The example code in the slides you were looking at is actually
wrong---because it's a maximization problem, the coefficient in the
second objective for x_2 should be set to -1. In other words, you
should have the following line of code in your main() function:

   sym_set_obj2_coeff(env, 1, -1);

Alternatively, you can actually set the objective sense to
maximization, but then the MPS file should be changed to have
nonnegative coefficients. Sorry about that! The code is now fixed in
stable/5.2 and trunk. If you check out

https://projects.coin-or.org/svn/SYMPHONY/stable/5.2

with subversion and build as before, then create your executable from
the fixed main() function and run it on the attached test.mps, you
should get the expected results. Thanks for pointing this out!

If you prefer to download an archive of the source for a point release
instead of using subversion, I will make a new release of SYMPHONY
over the weekend. I believe you can also get a zip file of the whole
thing by going here:

https://projects.coin-or.org/SYMPHONY/changeset/1770/stable/5.2?old_path=%2F&format=zip

Cheers,

Ted