[Symphony] bicriteria example?

Ross Anderson rpanderson at gmail.com
Mon May 3 16:09:45 EDT 2010

Hi all,
I'm attempting to reproduce the bicriteria example found in many of the
presentations (like the Advanced DIMACS06 tutorial). Here's the problem
reproduced:
vmax [8x1, x2],
subject to 7x1 + x2 <= 56,
28x1 + 9x2 <= 252,
3x1 + 7x2 <= 105,
x1, x2 >= 0

Here's my MPS file:

NAME          BICRIT
ROWS
 N  COST
 L  LIM1
 L  LIM2
 L  LIM3
COLUMNS
    XONE      COST                -8   LIM1                 7
    XONE      LIM2                 28  LIM3                 3
    XTWO      COST                -1   LIM1                 1
    XTWO      LIM2                 9   LIM3                 7
RHS
    RHS1      LIM1                 56  LIM2                252
    RHS1      LIM3                105
BOUNDS
 LI BND1      XONE                 0
 LI BND1      XTWO                 0
ENDATA

and the tutorial code:

#include "symphony.h"

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{

   sym_environment *env = sym_open_environment();
   sym_parse_command_line(env, argc, argv);
   sym_load_problem(env);

   sym_set_obj2_coeff(env, 1,1);
   sym_mc_solve(env);

   sym_close_environment(env);

   return(0);

}

The solver screen outputs  XONE      8.000  (implying XTWO is 0), which is
the outcome for \theta in (-infty, 1.333). How do I go about finding the
other ranges? I also tried passing mc_find_supported_solutions 1 in a
parameter file - no change.

Thank you.