[Symphony] C++ OSI example and reentrant question?

Antonello Lobianco a.lobianco at univpm.it
Thu Jul 9 06:56:45 EDT 2009

Hello .. thank you for your help.. I'm learning to use symphony from
the documentation but I still have two basic questions about it:

1) In the Example folder I could not find any case for the C++ OSI
interface, except the simple "parse the command line" example. Is
there an example that use the C++ OSI interface to solve a MIP problem
programmatically (like for the C api the example on file "milp2.c") ?
In particular I wander if in the OSI api I can use STL vectors or do I
still need to use the C-style arrays?
2) I'm switching to SYMPHONY because I need a reentrant library in the
object-oriented meaning: I have an agent-based model where "agents"
are (thousands) instances of a class and they all have to "solve a
problem" independently one with each other. The problem itself is very
small, but I need multithread so I can solve the whole of the problems
shortly in multi-core environments. Is symphony safe to be used in
such context? Does I need to compile it with openMP ? Is it
thread-safe (on different instances) also in Windows? (I don't need to
use multiple threads on the same problem, and the issue is that - at
least till few time ago - MinGW was still using a non-openMP
compatible gcc compiler.. OOOHPS.. 'just checked now and it seems they
moved to gcc 4.4 ;-) GREAT!)

Thank you,
   Antonello

--