[Coin-symphony] symphony on ubuntu misses glpk libraries

Ryan O'Neil ryanjoneil at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 16:33:28 EST 2008

Hello,

I'm trying to build and run symphony on an x86 box running Ubuntu
Gutsy with glpk and libglpk-dev packages installed.  I followed the
standard configure; make; make install but for some reason it doesn't
seem to recognize that I have glpk available for reading AMPL files.

One thing I notice is that -DUSE_GLPMPL is commented out in the
Makefile with a FIXME note, which is what I think makes it use glpk.
This flag allows sym_lp_solver.h to include glmpl.h, but libglpk-dev
only provides glpk.h.  Has anyone run into this before or am I just
misreading and lacking the proper library?

Thanks,
--
Ryan J. O'Neil
print 'just another python hacker'

SYMPHONY-5.1.7$ ./bin/symphony -F SYMPHONY/Datasets/sample.mod -D
SYMPHONY/Datasets/sample.dat

*   This is SYMPHONY Version 5.1.7                    *
*   Copyright 2000-2007 Ted Ralphs and others         *
*   All Rights Reserved.                              *
*   Distributed under the Common Public License 1.0   *

Reading input file...

ERROR: SYMPHONY can only read GMPL/AMPL files if GLPK is
installed and the USE_GLMPL compiler define is set.
Exiting.

Solving...

Illegal return code.
Trying to use default user_create_subproblem withoutreading an MPS or
AMPL file. Exiting...

done: 1 left: 0 ub: ?? lb: 0.00 time: 5

Do you want to abort immediately, exit gracefully (from the current
solve call only), or continue? [a/e/c]: a

Terminating...