[Symphony] [ building SYMPHONY 5.18: shared memory build <> sequential? ]

Carlos Martínez carlosm.upm at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 08:35:02 EDT 2008

Hello,

I am trying to build SYMPHONY with OpenMP support for using it
in a shared memory 16-cores server but it seems like I am running
into problems at some point.

I compiled SYMPHONY using gcc 4.2.3 and I am using your nice and very
clear C API. This is the configure command I used after reading the
user guide, SYMPHONY/Applications/USER/INSTALL and some other READMEs.

configure --prefix=/opt/SYMPHONY --enable-openmp --enable-static
--with-application --enable-debug --with-lp=yes

Running

       symphony -p 2 -F sample.mat

will output the following warning:

      "Trying to use multiple processors with sequential build..."

For the problem I am solving my laptop will just use one of its two cores
as well, so I think there is something amiss somewhere. I am sorry I am
totally new to SYMPHONY and thus I am a bit lost still.

Particularly I found in 5.5 that there are three configurations:

- Sequential
- Parallel distributed
- Parallel shared

but I could only find information on how to build my applications
with the first two configurations. From the user guild I thought that
using "--with-openmp" would suffice.

Any help will be much appreciated,

  Carlos

Carlos Martinez Belinchon