[Coin-symphony] Time limit function not working?

Michael Müller-Bungart michael.mueller-bungart at bwl.tu-freiberg.de
Tue Nov 8 07:33:36 EST 2005

ZT wrote:
> im solving an integer problem and im having problems
> setting the time limit for symphony solver.Im using
> documented function for setting the parameters:
> sym_set_dbl_param(Problem, "time_limit", 10.0);
> but solver doesnt stop after the limit is reached.
According to my experience, SYMPHONY sometimes works a little longer
than "time_limit". For instance, in some cases I set "time_limit" to ten
seconds, but SYMPHONY worked as long as 60 seconds (then
"sym_get_status" indeed returned "TM_TIME_LIMIT_EXCEEDED").

Another hint: I would suggest checking the return values of
"sym_set_dbl_param", "sym_get_dbl_param", "sym_set_int_param",
"sym_get_int_param" etc.

For instance:
 > sym_get_int_param(Problem, "time_limit", &i)
should return "FUNCTION_TERMINATED_ABNORMALLY" (because there is no
*int* param with the name "time_limit").

Regards,
Michael

--
Dipl.-Wirt.-Inf. Michael Mueller-Bungart
Lehrstuhl fuer Allgemeine Betriebswirtschaftslehre, insbesondere