[Coin-symphony] Re: Same questions about SYMPHONY

Ted Ralphs tkralphs at lehigh.edu
Wed May 11 14:09:03 EDT 2005

fengliu99 at mails.tsinghua.edu.cn wrote:
> Dear SYMPHONY Team,
>      I'm a graduate student in Tsinghua University,Beijing,China. It's a pleasure
> to use your wonderful product-SYMPHONY.
>     You know, I'm looking for a powerful tools to solve my project ,a Capacitied
> Vehicle Routing Problem . I found  SYMPHONY is the right one I need.Thanks for
> your great job!
>     But I Think I have some problem in using SYMPHONY, can you give me a hand?
>     First,When I download your SYMPHONY5.0 beta,it can not be open correctly in
> VC6.0++(I chosed Open WorkSpace-->Open SYMPHONY-5.0\WIN32\symphony.dsw),In another
> word, when I chosed open the symphony.dsw,Nothing happenned  in my VC
> environment.What 's the problem?

It seems that there are some .dsw files in the SYMPHONY 5.0 distribution
that are in Unix format rather than in Windows format. To solve this
problem, just open them in Word Pad and resave them again. Then
everything should work fine. Alternatively, just download the latest
source code from CVS or download a tar file at

www.coin-or.org/Tarballs

>     The second problem :I decide to use your symphony4.0, and open the
> SYMPHONY-4.0\WIN32\user.dsw,Modified the paths in setting and user.mak, install
> Coin-or and cplex,
> but I still failed to compile SYMPHONY. VC++ warning:"Linking...
> LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file
> "C:\COIN\Win\cglLib\Debug\cglLib.lib"
> Error executing link.exe.
>
> symphony.exe - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)"
>     Can you tell me something about the problem? I think I can solve all my CVRP
> problems with your help.

You have apparently not compiled the COIN component CGL. This is not
needed for the VRP solver anyway. If you set USE_CGL_CUTS to FALSE in
the Makefile, this should fix it. Again, however, I would download the
latest source code and use that.

Cheers,

Ted
--