[Project-managers] Fwd: Changes on the COIN server

Lou Hafer lou at sfu.ca
Mon Feb 8 13:19:00 EST 2016

Folks,

     For the last few months, those of us working to keep the COIN
server running been building a new implementation for portions of the
automation that runs on the server. The user-facing portion of this is
described on the 'Information for Project Managers' page,
https://projects.coin-or.org/BuildTools/wiki/pm-main, under the heading
'COIN-OR Server Automated Procedures and Configuration'. There's more
hiding behind the curtain.

     Over the coming week or two, I will be bringing this new
implementation into production, starting with the subversion post-commit
hook chain and moving on to nightly automation.  If you notice any
problems in your interactions with the server, *I want to know about it,
as quickly as possible*!  Tell me now, while I'm paying attention.

     For those who are interested: A number of longstanding minor
annoyances have been fixed. A very important point, for those of us
running the server, is that our automation will now play nicely with
SELinux.  Most important, we now have a better structure to move forward
with new functionality. (The `it just grew' syndrome. Every so often
it's necessary to start afresh to remove obsolete hidden assumptions and
clear away the years of accumulated cruft so that new cruft can flourish
  :-)  Over time, this should allow us to complete the move towards a
WordPress web site and provide better support for projects hosted in git
repositories.

                    Lou