[Project-managers] Email delays

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Sun Sep 27 22:58:32 EDT 2015

Apologies for the email confusion last week. What happened was this:

At the server's old location, the firewall was set up so the server was
in Clemson's DMZ. We had permission to run our own outbound SMPT
server.

After the move, our IP address changed. Apparently, our firewall
configuration is changed. For a while, we were still able to run our
own outbound SMTP server. In fact, however, that is forbidden by
Clemson policy. Last week, someone in our NOC must have detected the
supposedly illicit SMTP server and blocked it without notifying me or
my sysadmin. We discovered the issue on Friday and rerouted our
outbound SMPT through a university SMTP server, as policy dictates for
servers behind the campus firewall.

While we are working out the appropriate procedures, email should work.
Let me know if you encounter any problems.

During the outage, a number of Mailman users had their submission
permissions suspended due to excessive bounces. That wasn't their
fault. Any users who encountered this issue should be able to log into
list.clemson.edu/mailman/listinfo/<mailing list> and reenable their
accounts. I am looking at how to reenable everyone en masse. Alse
trying to block Mailman subscription spam that I discovered while
troubleshooting this issue.

Thanks for your patience.
--
Matthew Saltzman