[Project-managers] Git and github

Brad Bell bradbell at seanet.com
Sat May 24 08:26:15 EDT 2014

On 5/14/2014 5:32 AM, Tobias Achterberg wrote:
> This is not really a valid question in the git context.
>
> Suppose that at some point you start with a plain linear history of
> master:
>
>                master
>   A -> B -> C -> D
>
> Note that the branch "master" is just a pointer to some commit, in
> this case D.
>
> Now developer 2 forks off a branch and starts doing parallel
> development to developer 1 (who is committing something to the master
> branch):
>
>                          master
>   A -> B -> C -> D -> E -> F
... snip ..

Suppose that G and H are only partially functional and I is completely
functional.

I now want to replace master by the following history
     A -> B -> C -> D -> E -> F -> I
In a way so that I can recover A, B,  C, D, E, F, or I depending on
which version of the master I want by date.

This is very easy to do in subversion, but I have not been able to
figure out how to do it in git ?