[Project-managers] MSVC++ Support

Alpár Jüttner alpar at cs.elte.hu
Mon Jun 1 10:49:15 EDT 2009

Hi Ted,

Have you considered using CMAKE for building COIN-OR projects? I think
it would be a perfect substitute for the current autotool based build
environment + MSVC project files currently used by COIN-OR.

It generally much easier to setup, maintain and use than an autotool
build environment (it's enough to learn a single config file format and
use single tool). It is cross platform, so it can create UNIX or MSVC
makefiles, as well as MSVC project files automatically. (It also have
support for MinGW, MSYS, Borland, Watcom, Eclipse etc, and can generate
rpm, deb packages and .exe installers with CPACK+NSIS)

Of course, it is far from being perfect, but we have used it in a couple
of cross platform (Linux+Windows) projects and we are quite happy with
it.

The LEMON project (https://projects.coin-or.org/LEMON) provides both
autotool and CMAKE based build envs, so you can have a try with CMAKE
and can compare it to autotools.

Here is some basic guide on how to build LEMON with CMAKE (on Windows):
http://lemon.cs.elte.hu/trac/lemon/wiki/InstallCmake

Regards,
Alpar