[Project-managers] BSP 2009 and changes to project management procedures

Stefan Vigerske stefan at math.hu-berlin.de
Sat Jul 4 08:38:07 EDT 2009

Hi,

>>> Actually, that's the whole idea :-). This way improvements get
>>> released more frequently. But what you suggest is a valid concern...
>>> How about splitting up Osi in the sense that each solver can be
>>> released separately? We are creating separate libraries from the
>>> solverinterfaces anyway... And the same problem applies to cgl as
>>> well...
>>
>> I would support the idea to put OsiClp into Clp.
>> Not making Osi a requirement for Clp, but if Osi is available during the
>> Clp build, then also an OsiClp library should be build.
>> Similar, OsiDylp could move to Dylp, OsiSymphony to Symphony, ...
>> And for the Osi interfaces to solvers that are not in COIN-OR (yet ;-)),
>> the OsiXXX might either go into a separate place (as Laci suggested) or
>> just stay in Osi for now.
>>

> Hear, hear! Let's do it!

What could be the steps towards this?
1. Get Lou's and Matt's (whom of them is the PM of Osi?) agreement.
2. Have projects which currently still point to Osi/trunk point to the
latest Osi/stable.
3. Find out which projects XXX (e.g., Clp, DyLP, Vol) with an OsiXXX are
interested in maintaining their OsiXXX by themselves.
4. Remove those OsiXXX from Osi/trunk.
5. Make a new Osi stable version and revision.
6. Have projects XXX add this (shrinked) Osi to their externals and add
the corresponding OsiXXX code to XXX.
7. Create a new stable and release of XXX.
8. Have higher level projects (Cbc, Bonmin, OS, ...) use the new stables
of XXX and Osi and change their Makefile's to pick up the OsiXXX's from
the new location.

Stefan