[Project-managers] Reminder: PLEASE check in your project descriptions

Ted Ralphs tkralphs at lehigh.edu
Sun Sep 16 16:02:05 EDT 2007

Hi all,

As of now, most project managers still have not checked in their project
XML pages. I would like to kindly ask if you could either take care of
this small chore sometime in the next few days (it should take about
5-10 minutes) or else let us know that you would prefer that we do it
for you. While we would prefer that you do it, so that the page contains
the information you want it to, we can help in case you just don't want
to be bothered with it. However, we do need to know your preference and
we'd like to have a page for every project up soon. Thanks for your help
with this.

Cheers,

Ted

For your convenience, here is the text of the original e-mail:

At long last, we have put in place a mechanism for automatic generation
of project information pages. The idea is that each project manager will
create and maintain an XML file containing basic project information.
This XML file will be posted to the Web server and rendered by a parser
that will display each project's info in a standard format. The
procedure for getting your page up is very simple:

1. Edit the attached XML file, which has extensive comments to explain
where to put each piece of information. XML is very similar to HTML, but
with tags that can be customized. If you've ever looked at HTML, this
should be very familiar. If not, please feel free to ask questions.

2. After you are done editing the file, add it to the conf/ directory of
your project's repository and commit it. It is VERY IMPORTANT that you
check it in with exactly the same name as it has now, i.e., you should
execute exactly the following commands from the directory where the
projDesc.xml file has been saved:

cp projDesc.xml ProjRoot/conf/
cd ProjRoot/conf/
svn add projDesc.xml
svn commit -m "Adding XML file to repository"

where ProjRoot is the root directory of your project. If you don't
happen to have the conf directory checked out and you want to get just
that directory without checking out the entire repository, just do

svn checkout https://projects.coin-or.org/svn/ProjName/conf

where ProjName is the name of your project. This will check out just the
conf/ directory. After the projDesc.xml file is checked into your
repository, an automatic script will copy it to the appropriate
directory on the Web server and rename it so that it will be accessible
from the address

http://www.coin-or.org/projects/ProjName.xml

where "ProjName" is again the actual name of your project. For example, see

https://projects.coin-or.org/SYMPHONY/browser/conf/projDesc.xml

for SYMPHONY's XML file. The comments have been stripped out so you can
see what a minimal file looks like. To see how the file displays, you
can go to

http://www.coin-or.org/projects/SYMPHONY.xml

We'd like to have XML files for all the projects up in the next couple
of weeks. Please feel free to ask as many questions as you need to. If
there are questions you think might be relevant to other PMs, please
also post them to the list, so that everyone can benefit from the
answers. We will also be adding these instruction to the CoinHelp wiki.

--
Dr. Ted Ralphs
Associate Professor
tkralphs at lehigh.edu