[Project-managers] editing external codes

Laszlo Ladanyi ladanyi at us.ibm.com
Sat Apr 7 01:52:32 EDT 2007

On Sat, 7 Apr 2007, Matthew Galati wrote:

> Here's another similar scenario. Same problem. Concorde (ABCC's TSP
> solver) has the same issue -- uses "new" in protos. I want to include
> Concorde calls in DECOMP. I doubt Concorde team cares to support a new
> version, so I'd need to patch or have an interface header like I mention
> below.
>
> More generally... what about these scenarios:
>
> (1) The case where you have some open source code (say GPL) that is no
> longer supported. The authors have retired. You use it in your COIN code
> - and over time, you want to make adjustments to it - say, to make it
> faster. How do you handle?
>
> (2) The case where you have some open source code (say GPL) that changes
> dramatically its API - and deprecates their old versions (doesn't
> support or keep them online anymore). But, you are happy with the old
> API and don't want to change anything. Can you keep a local copy of
> their old version on your server and distribute with your COIN code? Or
> are you SOL?

*I* think that (at least with GPL'd code) it's OK to distribute any version on
your own and change it to your heart's delight and distribute those changes.
This is just forking another project. The important point is that the GPL code
you distribute is separate from the rest.

Of course, this assumes that you are comfortable with distributing someone
else's code, i.e., you are not afraid that the original authors may have
(intentionally or not, doesn't matter much) stepped on some toe (copyright
and/or patent issues), because if they did then you, as a distributor of the
code, might get sued...

> Matt
>
> > You haven't talked much to lawyers yet, have you? Bless your innocent
> > heart... :-).
>
> I try my best to avoid them. My Dad (M.D.) use to have a T-Shirt that said
> "F-ck all the Lawyers". Apologies to anyone out there married to one.
> Disclaimer: I have a mind of my own and do not necessarily buy into the
> belief system of my father. Although, after growing up the son of a MD, I
> think he had the right idea. :)

--Laci

PS: Just to reiterate: the opinions above are my own, not necessarily my
employer's nor an official COIN-OR statement.